As the sole survivor of the Amesbury’s renowned dory manufacturing industry, Lowell’s maintains its time-honored tradition and continues to build its full line of dories and skiffs. The finest materials, paired with the highest level of craftsmanship, ensure that Lowell’s dories are built for both quality and longevity. Competitors cannot surpass the authenticity, craftsmanship and integrity of Lowell’s dories.
- The planking: cedar, white pine, or Honduran mahogany, per customer specs.
- Air-dried at the Shop to insure proper moisture content for flexibility, strength and endurance
- Stem, rails, knees, and hand-sawn frames white oak
- Transom, seats and breast hook Honduran mahogany.
- Fastenings & Hardware: silicone bronze ring nails and screws; copper rivets.
- Laps fastened with copper rivets, hand peened to provide a tight and lasting fit.
- Bronze hardware includes: bow eye, bow and stern cleats, drain plug, oar locks and sockets, sailing hardware etc. Frighteningly traditional ‘thole pins’ instead of oarlocks are also available.
- To avoid the swelling issues inherent in wooden boats, most customers choose to have their boat bottoms encapsulated in West System epoxy and fiberglass.
- Custom-finishing: top quality marine enamels and varnishes for the two available finishes: standard or yacht quality. Please inquire for additional details on building and delivery options.
- Complete boat refinishing and maintenance services.
- At Lowell’s, we work with each customer on an individual basis and consider each boat a custom order. We encourage you to call or visit the
Experience the Lowell Tradition!